Maybe you noticed that lately I have been complaining a lot about the lack of sunshine and warm weather.
Honestly, yesterday according to my huge wall calendar it was JUNE 8th…… and I was wearing long pants and sweatshirt….that is absolutely ridiculous and will not stand for that.
Do you hear me Mother Nature? Do you?
I figured that if I keep writing about summer stuff Mother Nature will eventually take the hint and some sunshine will come our way as well.
So here it goes…lets talk about SUNSCREENS…..specifically sunscreens that offer the best protection for our children.
If your kids are anything like mine you spend hours and hours telling them over and over until you blue in your face to keep their hats on, wear their sunglasses and drink lots of water.
We all need to pay close attention and protect our kids as well as ourselves from harmful UV rays.
Skin cancer is on the rise and lots of it is from not applying proper sunscreens and not paying attention to protection from sun from an early age.
Therefore……using the proper sunscreen to protect our kids from sun damage is very important.
When using a sunscreen for kids you need to have few things in mind:
#1 Sunscreen is not expired
#2 Make sure the kids sunscreen has the highest SPF available
#3 Sunscreen is water-resistant
#4 Sunscreen for kids is hypoallergenic and fragrance free
#5 Sunscreen provides broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection.
#6 Sunscreen does not contain lots of harmful chemicals
Every year before summer starts I do a little research and see what sunscreen protection for kids is available on the market.
I make a list of best sunscreen lotions to protect my kids and I look for sales and coupons, because….have you seen the price of sunscreen lotions lately?
According to my internet research the best and safest sunscreens and sunblocks that have everything that I look for to protect my kids from the sun and keeping them from harmful chemicals at the same time are:
- Aveeno Baby Natural Protection Mineral Block Face Stick, SPF 50
- Blue Lizard Baby Australian Suncream, SPF 30
- Coppertone Kids Pure & Simple Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50
- Coppertone WaterBabies Pure & Simple Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50
- BabyGanics Cover Up Baby Sunscreen for Face & Body, Fragrance Free, SPF 50+
- BabyGanics Cover Up Baby Sunscreen Stick, Fragrance Free, SPF 50
- Badger Baby Sunscreen, SPF 30+
- COOLA Baby Unscented Natural Mineral Sunblock, SPF 45
- COOLA MineralBaby Moisturizer Suncare, Unscented, SPF 45
- UV Natural Baby Sunscreen, SPF 30+
- Little Forest Sunscreen Lotion For Babies and Kids, SPF 30+
- Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunblock Stick, SPF 60+
For many years Neutrogena and Banana Boat were on top of my list when it came to using sunscreen for myself and my kids, but few days ago I read a post called “Is Your Sunscreen Harming You?” from a Stumble Buddy of mine Heather from With A Side Of Sneakers which made me change my mind.
To make sure your kids are well protected this summer sunscreen can’t do the job on it’s own.
To give your kids maximum sun protection make sure they:
- put on the sunscreen
- wear sunglasses
- put on the hat
- use sun protection clothing
- Stay in shade and keep hydrated